Yes, it is bad for you. The chemicals used in producing makeup is scary to say the least. Mercury, Coal Tar Dye, Parabens, DEA (MEA, TEA), BHA, BHT, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Siloxanes, and Oxybenzone. That is not near all of them, but it gives you an idea, I have noticed a few of these when I glance at the ingredients on many cosmetic products I have. I am shocked by how uninformed I am, Mineral Oil?!?! I would have NEVER thought that to be harmful. However, after further research and sifting through all the hype, not all chemicals are necessarily bad if used in small amounts and/or properly.
So, can you believe everything you read, no, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful with what you are putting onto your skin. I read many testimonials, where some women have experienced severe headaches from using makeup everyday :o! That cannot be good, the best advice I can give is LISTEN to your body! I used to get stys under my bottom lash line often, and I could not figure out why!?! Now I have discovered it was most likely from my eyeliner I used to use, which was a drug store brand. Ever since I have switched to Younique I haven’t had a sty or a crazy breakout!
I could sit here and tell you all how amazing Younique is for being Paraben free and hypoallergenic, but I DO sell Younique so how can I prove it to you without being biased? All I can think of is to choose a couple of my fav products and research each ingredient.
First up: Stiff Upper Lip Stain
- Water in cosmetics is used as a main natural solvent and hydration source.
- Glycerin moistens and is able to hold back the water favoring skin hydration.
- Sodium Hyaluronate, in other words, Salt of Hyaluronic Acid, is naturally present in the skin and the body. Its greatest capacity to hold water enhances the appearance of dry, damaged skin, helping to reduce flakiness and restoring suppleness.
- Carbomer is a polymer that thickens water based systems, forming clear, comforting, watery gel.
- Aminomethyl propanediol helps balance pH levels.
- Disodium EDTA increases the stability of formulation.
- Sodium Dehydroacetate is a commonly used preservative that extends the shelf life of the product.
- Phenoxyethanol is a product preservative. -low to moderate hazard-
- Tropolone, is a an organic composite.
(Copied directly from Younique, I checked out a couple and all seems good, what I am really interested in is below! The “May contain”)
- Mica (CI 77019)- Low Hazard— currently being mined illegally in India 😦
- Tin Oxide (CI 77861)- Low Hazard, no link to cancer etc.
- Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)- Fair Hazard depending on usage, low hazard in this case.
- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)- No hazard or low hazard.
- Iron Oxide (CI 77491, 77492, 77499)- Low Hazard
- Manganese Violet (CI 77742)- Low Hazard–No data
- Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090)- Low Hazard
- Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)- Low hazard
- Carmine (CI 75470)- Low Hazard
- Red 7 Lake (CI 15850)- Low Hazard
- Red 6 Lake (CI 15850)- Low Hazard
- D&C Red 33 (CI 17200)- Low Hazard
- D&C Red 28 (CI 45410)- Low Hazard
This took way longer then I thought, I found this great website to search ingredients and brands: https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=Mica
To have something to compare, I took out a liquid eyeliner I am currently using from Maybelline since I do not have the Younique liquid liner yet!
Ingredients: Line Stiletto
G3157: AQUA / WATER / EAU, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ACRYLATES COPOLYMER, POLYESTER-5, ALCOHOL DENAT., TRILAURETH-4 PHOSPHATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, XANTHAN GUM, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, SILICA, [+/- MAY CONTAIN / PEUT CONTENIR, CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES, CI 77266 / BLACK 2, MICA, CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE, CI 75470 / CARMINE, CI 77288 / CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS, CI 77289 / CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN, CI 77742 / MANGANESE VIOLET, CI 77007 / ULTRAMARINES, CI 77510 / FERRIC FERROCYANIDE], D36244/2
Right off hand I see Parabens, lets look up a few shall we.
- PROPYLPARABEN- High Hazard “Parabens mimic estrogen and can act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors”
- XANTHAN GUM- Low Hazard
- CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS- Moderate Hazard “This ingredient contains trivalent chromium, a form of chromium that functions as an essential trace element in human metabolism”
There is a couple, and I am not using that liquid liner anymore!
Comparing the prices I can see why so many people including myself at one time, would choose the Maybelline brand.
- Maybelline Stiletto- $5.97
- Younique Precision Liquid Liner- $25.00
Huge price difference, but for me in the end I will now always choose the chemical free makeup any day.
Let me know your thoughts! I love hearing new information.